Posts for category: Uncategorized
Use this checklist to get better sleep!
- Bedroom should be cool, dark, and clutter-free
- Create a consistent bedtime ritual
- Establish a good circadian rhythm by getting bright light upon waking
- Eliminate caffeine and other stimulants after noon (including nicotine and chocolate)
- Avoid alcohol after dinner and limit amount
- Exercise daily
- Avoid electronic use 1-2 hours before bed, or use the FLUX app if you must
- Don't allow too many kids or pets in your bed
- Keep blood sugar steady throughout the day. If waking up in the middle of the night, try a protein snack before bed.
- Dietary melatonin sources make a nice bedtime snack. Try 8 oz of tart cherry juice like CherryPharm, with a handful of walnuts.
- Ask your provider to order you a home sleep study if you have signs of sleep apnea, such as snoring, pauses in breathing, and gasping for air.
- For racing minds- try a "thought log," prayer, meditation, or breathing exercise
- For those who are overwhelmed with busy schedules and burning the candle at both ends- keep a journal next to your bed and get your to-do list out of your head and on the paper. Make sure you are also saying "no" and taking care of #1 first.
- Are you sad, anxious, or struggling with PTSD? Therapy can be incredibly helpful!
- Do you have sore muscles? Try a bedtime stretching session, warm epsom salt bath, and increasing dietary magnesium sources like dark leafy greens, avocado, and almonds.
- Determine if there is cognitive dissonance (mental discomfort resulting from a situation when your beliefs run counter to your behavior.)
Use this checklist to determine if you could benefit from better sleep:
- You want to prevent weight gain, insulin resistance, heart disease, mental health issues, hormone imbalance, injuries, and illness.
- You want to help reverse one of the above conditions.
- You feel irritable, sad, or anxious.
- You want to increase athletic perforamnce and/or fitness.
- You want to improve daytime mental focus and/or job performance.